The Ongoing Adventures of Naked Girl

The story of my quest to look good naked -- really good.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Breaking News

I have put off writing about this for about a week and a half, partly because I didn't want to jinx it, partly becasue I wasn't sure how I felt about it.....Don is flying to Minneapolis next week for what seems like a final interview at the St. Paul Pioneer Press for the Vikings beat writer.

To give you a little background, Don used to be the beat writer for the L.A. Rams at the Orange County Register when they were playing in Anaheim. He left there and has worked at Fox Sports Net, the NFL and now is at FoxSports.com. He's wanted to get back into the newspaper business for awhile, but the jobs are few and far between and there is some politics when it comes to filling open positions -- the leaving writer may suggest someone, the paper needs to make it a minority hire or they want someone who can do it for half of what an experienced newman would ask. The closest he got was about 6 years ago, right before our wedding, when he was offered a job covering the Green Bay Packers for the Appleton newspaper. Because of timing, he opted not to take that one, but there have been others -- Denver, Kanas City, Cleveland, etc. This is a great opportunity -- it's a competitive market, the Vikings are big news there and they are a team that is mentioned when they discuss teams moving to L.A. Of couse, this would mean moving to Minnesota.....

To be perfectly honest, I'm scared shitless. I don't know anyone there. I've never lived in a true winter town (I did live for a year in Ottawa and 3 years in New York, but completely different). My family is here. My job is here. My home is here. Despite all of this, I am excited. I love to move -- I know, I'm weird. I love new adventures and exploring new places. I'm also feeling overwhelmed. If he does get hired, he'd have to move pretty quickly -- probably by 9/1 since the season starts the following week. With everything that is going on with my job -- the reorganization, the hiring "pause," etc. -- I probably couldn't move before the end of the year. More than likely, I would have to wait until the end of the season before I could join him. The good news is that AMEX has a decent presence there both in travel and card. If they complete the reorg by 9/1 (like they are supposed to) and I can get my agents and clients settled and they lift the hiring "pause"
I could probably get a job with AMEX, meaning my benefits and retirement would stay status quo. My salary would take a hit just because of the region, but I could deal with that (I think -- to be honest, I've worked hard to get to my salary level and it would be a bit of an ego blow to take a $10,000 or $15,000 pay cut).

So, we'd be apart 6 months. That would be hard. Don is worried that he'd be leaving me with the house, the upkeep, the bills, the chores and the dogs to deal with all by myself. I, of couse, think that I could handle is just fine. I mean, we do have a gardner who trims the lawn once a week and I have someone who cleans the house twice a month. I'm more worried that I'd be lonely and bored -- and I'd miss him like crazy.

Anyway, nothing is for sure yet. We should hear something Thursday or Friday of next week. Until then, I can only go through all the scenerios in my head, thinking of all the things that would need to be done -- sell old house, buy new house, find new job, move half way across country....and I'm sure that's just the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home