The Ongoing Adventures of Naked Girl

The story of my quest to look good naked -- really good.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'm B-a-a-a-c-k!

OK, the hiatus is over. The biggest change is that I finally have a new boss, who starts tomorrow. He's coming over from a different department, but he's very aware of who we are and what we do. Overall, the changes that are being made make a lot of sense and aligns groups in a very logical way. Bottom line, I can stop working 12-hour days & weekends and hopefully start sleeping through the night.

In addition to these changes, I had emergency surgery 3 weeks ago. I had been having trouble eating - I would get severe cramps every time I ate any dense protein. This went on for a few days, but it got really bad on a Sunday. I went into work on Monday and cramped even when I tried yogurt or a protein shake. I went to the nurse who suggested I go to the ER, which I really didn't want to do. After a few hours of enduring major pain, I decided to go in to the ER at the hospital where I had my WLS. After a 3 hour wait, I finally saw the ER doctor who did an ultrasound (irritated and swollen gallbladder but no gallstones) and then a CT scan. The scan showed what they thought was a major blockage at the "Y" section of my intestines.

I was admitted immediately with surgery scheduled for the following day by my WLS surgeon. Usually, when they think there is a blockage, they insert a nasal gastric tube - a tube that goes into one nostril, down your throat and into your stomach - to drain all liquids prior to surgery. Don had already gone home - it was now 1:00 AM on Tuesday morning. I had been battling pain since Sunday night and hadn't slept very well, so I was a bit grumpy and just wanted to rest (the pain meds were making me sleepy). They got the tube in and it felt like I had a bone caught in my throat. I went into a panic attack and tried to pull the tube out. After waiting 15 minutes to see if I would calm down, they finally removed it.

I got some rest, but not a lot. The next morning when I met with my surgeon, he said they would insert the NG tube after I was under. That had to be the worst part of the whole ordeal. If anyone suggests an NG tube, just say no!

They thought they might need to re-do a portion of my surgery - essentially removing the blocked portion and "reassembling" the "Y" connection. When they actually got in there, it wasn't an internal blockage, but scar tissue between the abdominal wall on the outer portion of my intestine. This is somewhat common, but it usually shows shortly after surgery, not 2+ years later. In the end, the surgery was about an hour and I was in recovery for only a short time - Don was just getting ready to grab a bite to eat since I was supposed to be in recovery for 2 hours and I was in there for less than 1.

I came out of anesthesia very well, and Don said I didn't even look like I had surgery. I was up walking around by 6:00 PM Tuesday evening. My original release date was going to be Thursday, however because I was doing so well, I got to go home on Wednesday morning. I did take the rest of the week off, and am now sporting 6 more lap incisions but they look pretty good. I'm able to actually eat a normal meals. Of course, it came at a very inopportune time work-wise but there was no way I could have postponed it and I'm just glad they figured out what was causing the pain.

Other big news - on somewhat of a whim, I decided to get tattooed on Saturday. Don was working, I needed to kill a few hours so I ended up at Saint Sabria's with my friend, Jen. As soon as it heals, I'll have Don take a photo. It's a heart with rainbow-colored wings and it's located between my shoulder blades. Of course, seeing all the possibilities made me think of where to get my next tattoo (ankle, wrist, lower back). It didn't hurt as much as I thought. I like that it's in a place where it's not visible unless I want it to be.

Don is doing well - in the full throes of getting ready for next week's NFL draft. The 2008 season was released last week. His travel schedule isn't too bad - New Orleans, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Detroit, Green Bay, Chicago and Nashville. He will be home for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

The weather has FINALLY turned to Spring. We actually were getting snow the few days I was in the hospital. I was able to spend a few hours on the deck this afternoon catching up on my reading. It felt so good to get into the sun. We're supposed to get thunderstorms tomorrow, which I don't mind - just don't rain on my weekends!!

I'm hoping to get next Thursday & Friday off to finally tackle the spring cleaning around here. I have a list a mile long, but it just hasn't been spring-y enough to get into the mood.

Well, that's pretty much it for now. I should be able to dedicate more time catching up, both on my reading and on my posting. Hopefully not too many of my long-time readers have given up on me!

Labels: ,


  • At 8:08 PM , Blogger TeacherRefPoet said...

    Glad the medical issues seem to be resolved, and good to have you back.

  • At 8:27 PM , Anonymous danelle said...

    Yay! So glad to have you back. Too bad the interim for you has been not-so-good. I wish you'd have come back and told us tales of visiting exotic islands and drinking fruity drinks in the sun, but I'll take what I can get. Welcome back!

  • At 9:28 PM , Blogger Fantastagirl said...

    I'm so glad you are back, and doing well. So scary on the surgery side of things. I hope that with the changes at work life slows down and you are able to enjoy yourself!

  • At 4:51 AM , Blogger Uisce said...

    welcome back! and thank goodness for bloglines! glad to hear things are ok, and congrats on the ink! :)

  • At 12:06 PM , Anonymous jaydots said...

    Glad to see you are back and doing well. I've been following your journey for a long time and always look forward to the next chapter!

  • At 5:40 PM , Blogger pastgirl said...

    Wow! So happy to hear you made it through it all safe and sound. I will remember to say no to the tube, seriously – eek! – if it ever comes up :)

  • At 2:35 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I am so happy that your doc was able to fix ya up and it wasn't worse than what they thought that it was... I hope you are healing up good!!

  • At 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ...please where can I buy a unicorn?

  • At 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    habГ©is inventado tal frase incomparable? cialis precio en farmacia A volte le cose accadere e peggio cialis precio en venezuela ccywuvmssz [url=]comprar viagra[/url]


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home