The Ongoing Adventures of Naked Girl

The story of my quest to look good naked -- really good.

Monday, April 05, 2004

Good News, Bad News

So the bad news is that my mom's friend, Nancy, took a turn for the worse over the weekend. They actually thought she wasn't going to make it through Saturday night. In the end, she did make it and she came out of her light coma (whatever that is). She will be under 24 hour hospice care, at least for the immediate future. I had a good talk with my Dad about what was going on, and agreed that it would be better for everyone if she just went to sleep and didn't wake up. I hated hearing myself saying that and I could never say it to my mom. Not to say I don't believe in miracles, but I have to be honest too. Anyway, everyone is trying to prepare for the inevitable.

The good news is after I posted on Friday, Don and I had a good talk on Saturday morning. I know why I'm drinking -- it's to fill up my loneliness when Don isn't at home. When I look back, I've always been a solitary drinker. It really started when I was living in NYC. Even though I was a social butterfly for the most part, any time I didn't have anything to do, I would drink. Once I moved in with Don, the drinking never really was an issue because we both worked "regular" hours and I really was only alone when he went on business trips (few and far between).

To help remind myself not to drink, I am wearing a silver and turquoise bracelet. I really wanted to find something similar to the Kabbalah Red String, but I had to make due with what I had. Anyway, I'm hoping it will help me think before drinking (or participating in any other harmful behavior).

I did have some successes over the weekend. Don and I went to the gym on Saturday and then took the dogs for a 1 1/2 mile walk on Sunday. We both spent time outside, soaking up some rays and just enjoying the spring weather. When Don left for work on Sunday, I ran a bunch of errands -- Linens-N-Things for pillows, Cost Plus for a few odds and ends (they have great cards and wrapping supplies) and Lane Bryant for two new outfits. The best part about that was they were having a 20% off everything sale, plus I had a $50 gift card and a $25 gift certificate. So even though my total was $312.00, I only paid $175.00. I got two skirts, 3 sweaters and 4 pairs of body shapers, so not too bad. Of course, I now need shoes......

The best part of the weekend, though, was Friday night when I got a chance to speak to Denise. We spoke for about 2 hours. It was just so nice to talk to someone who is going through similar situations. I look forward to more conversations! It's always fun to speak (or meet) someone you have a certain perception of. She is very smart, funny, good conversationalist. You get a great idea of her wit and sense of humor from her writing, but she's even more so over the phone. Anyway, our conversation gave me a lot to think about and got me started a long the right path!

Anyway, only 4 days, 7 hours and 20 minutes until I start my vacation.....not that I'm counting or anything......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home