The Ongoing Adventures of Naked Girl

The story of my quest to look good naked -- really good.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Lizards, Coyotes and Hummingbirds, Oh My!te

Despite living in Minnesota and having a ton of wildlife around us, there is something about being up here that brings out the Mutual Life of Omaha in all of us...

Jager had been stalking a planter out by the pool for two days. Both Don and I had moved it, rattled it, lifted it up to show her there was nothing there. Yesterday morning, she was back at it -- pawing at the planter, licking the side, snuffing under it -- and I went to move it so she would relax. I tilted it up so she could get a good sniff, and lo-and-behold, there was a small lizard. I didn't know this until I turned around and she is there with a lizard tail hanging out of her mouth and Baja trying to get at it!

I was calling at her to drop it, trying to get Baja away from her when Don came out to help. Between the two of us, we got Baja inside and Jager to release the poor lizard and got them both inside the house. We figured the lizard was dead and I went to go get a bag, but much to our surprise, he was alive. We started to nudge it off the stairs, down the deck to the field behind the house. Of course, nothing could be THAT easy since it had to scamper by the pool... Yes, he fell in... I had to go into the pool with a plastic grocery bag and fish him out so Don could continue nudging him into the field.

Once that ordeal was over, I called my dad to tell him the story. While I was on the phone, I saw a coyote crossing across the field. The dogs did too, and raise holy hell. It's a good thing I knew that coyotes were around, otherwise I might have thought it was a stray dog.

Anyway, we had a uneventful rest of the day with a walk on the beach and some pool time with our anniversary dinner last night. I thought the drama was over... Oh, so wrong...

This morning, Don went to get a newspaper and I took the dogs outside for a morning patrol. My dad has a bunch of flowers in his garden up here that attract various birds. There was a hummingbird hovering around one of the planters. Jager was waling by and the bird's movement caught her eye -- she pounced and CAUGHT the hummingbird!! She released it immediately -- I think more out of shock than anything else -- before she did any harm.

Needless to say, it's been an adventure up here... We hit the road tomorrow before 7:00 AM so we can get to Denver by midnight. I am not looking forward to the long haul but I will be happy to get home. At least Jager won't be bringing down a deer or duck....

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:42 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    We have several coyotes and foxes behind our house, they live between the golf course and our yard, but Katie doesn't seem to mind them at all. She notices them - looks intently out the window, or glances up if she's outside - but then just goes on with whatever she was doing and never makes a sound.

    They seem equally uninterested in her, too, probably because she's twice their size and not suitable for a snack.

     
  • At 12:10 AM , Blogger cb said...

    One of these trips to CA or back home needs a longer layover in Denver so Danelle and I can meet you for dinner or coffee or something!

    Cindi B.

     
  • At 9:05 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    wow sounds like a great trip so far... but too funny about the lizard and the bird...

     
  • At 12:01 PM , Anonymous robert said...

    Great article. Need more photos to increase your visitor.Nice post . Carry on.click here to see more :
    bedroom fun

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home