The Ongoing Adventures of Naked Girl

The story of my quest to look good naked -- really good.

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Boy, I hate it when work interferes with my personal life. I was hoping to leave work early tomorrow and have a “date” with my husband. Don has been working a lot of late shifts – 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM or 3:00 PM to midnight – and he always works at least one weekend day, so I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time with him. I figured we could meet at the gym, get a quick workout in and catch a 3:00 movie. Unfortunately, I have a late afternoon client meeting with a really difficult travel manager and her lackey. There seems to be a lot of internal strife within the company and whenever something goes wrong because of their lack of communication with us, it’s our fault.

I’m also feeling a little out of sorts this week. At this time last year, my husband was working for the NFL as an editor at It was his third year with the NFL. It was a wonderful job. His office was 1 1/2 miles from our house (he could actually walk!), it paid great, he had an awesome boss, and the perks were out of this world. I was able to go to the 2000 Super Bowl in Tampa Bay, the 2001 Super Bowl in New Orleans and the 2002 Super Bowl in San Diego. There were some downsides -- he was in the press box for the game, so I sat with some of the other wives. His days were usually long, especially since he was editing everything that the writers were writing, so we'd eat really late and I didn't actually get to see him a lot. The airports were always a hassle the day after Super Bowl (such as 1 mile-long check in line at Southwest when we were leaving New Orleans). Since we got the dogs, we would have to arrange kenneling. But, overall, it was a great experience. Plus, we got a lot of swag -- watches, hats, jackets, etc. In May of 2003, the head NFL office in NYC decided to close the LA office. There were a lot of politics involved, a lot of lies told, and it wasn't handled very well. So Don became one of the thousands of people looking for jobs. He was lucky. He ended up at, but in a much lesser roll (with less pay as well). So now for the first time in 3 years, I don't have plans for the big game. I keep telling myself I really don't want to be in Houston, and it's going to be great to watch the game from home with Don and the dogs, but to be completely honest, I do want to be there.

It looks like it's going to be an early morning for me tomorrow. The east coast is getting hit by a huge storm and when their offices close, offices in the sunny parts of the country take their calls. I will be getting a call between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM to see if I will be needed in the office. Oh, joy. I think for every "snow" day the east coast gets, Los Angeles should get "rain" days. Let's face it, no one in California knows how to drive in the rain. Plus, that way there would be fewer cars on the road and that would mean fewer accidents. I think that's a fine idea.

George hasn't been bugging me too much today, although I am hearing him tell me that we shouldn't have to go to the gym if I have to be up at the crack of dawn. I'm hoping I will be strong enough and get my rear onto the treadmill for 60 minutes.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home